Skip to Content


So you're not a permanent permanent resident? Apparently not. The Permanent Resident Card, the "green card," is not merely an identification document allowing you to live and work in the US, it is also proof of your status. And, like everything of this world, your green card is not going to last forever. Green cards expire. They get old. And like a lot of things, when they get old, they don't work anymore.

Most green cards are good for ten years. Green cards issued many, many years ago are so old that they don't even have an expiration date, but they should be replaced anyway. Some green cards are good for two years. These two types of cards, the ten year cards and the two year cards are different and cannot be renewed the same way. Cards which have a ten year expiration date are replaced by filing form I-90 at where ever the appropriate processing center of the moment is currently located. (This shuffle of appropriate processing centers happened with alarming regularity under the last Republican administration). For the moment all paper I-90s are filed in Phoenix, Arizona. Cards that have a two year expiration date require the filing of form I-751 with either the California or the Vermont Service Center. These darn locations seem to change often, so check the right address at, clicking on the word "forms" "FORMS," and scrolling down.